The Best Yoga Poses to Improve your Sleep
Our life is so busy and so fast that sometimes not even your excellent mattress, which is obviously handmade with the best natural materials, can assure you the best sleep. So let's add a new element to your pre-sleep routine: a couple of yoga positions and you will sleep like a baby tonight!
Practicing yoga has many positive effects including an overall improvement in physical and mental health and a better quality sleep.
Yoga can be practiced as a child, as an adult and as an elderly person, at any age.
Even some occasional yoga practice will likely improve your sleep quality. However you should aim for a regular, repeated and protracted practice to obtain best results. So consider making a daily schedule where you regularly practice before going to bed.
Focusing on your body while breathing in a controlled manner helps loosening muscle tension and helps preparing for a good night’s rest.
Choose the right type of yoga for you:
- Hatha yoga involves gentle body postures and breathing techniques. These breathing techniques focus on lengthening inhalation, holding the breath, and exhalation.
- Nidra yoga is done while lying down and focuses on breathing or perception of certain parts of the body
And the right ZZZ postures:
- Standing forward bend (uttanasana). From a standing position, bend your torso slowly forward in front of your legs. Your hands can rest on your elbows, shins, or the floor.
- Reclined butterfly (supta baddha konasana). Lie on your back. Press the soles of your feet together and let your knees fall to the side. You can have your hands at your sides or above your head.
- Legs up the wall (viparita karani). Lie on your back with your legs against a wall so that your body makes an “L.” Relax your arms at your sides.
- Corpse pose (savasana). This is often the closing pose of yoga practices. Lie on the floor with your arms at your sides, palms up, and your legs straight.
Let’s try this this evening. Relax completely and have a good night’s sleep in a Midsummer bed.