Chill out - Summer 2021 edition
Even in the best of times, the physical and emotional effects of stress can be severe.
In the summer of 2021, after months of social distancing, working from home and watching news about the pandemic so many of us are in pain and may not even be aware of it.
Our brain is a wonderful machine, but when we’re dealing with a prolonged stress it ends up on high-alert, endlessly looking out for more danger to come.
So let’s use this summer to break this vicious circle and reconnect with your body and soul.
- Take a breath and check in with your body. Ask yourself, “How am I feeling right now?”
- Use your phone alarms to remind yourself periodically to pause and breathe.
- Give yourself permission to slow down and make a conscious effort to enjoy your time.
- If you’re watching something or having a conversation that’s not making you feel good, just walk away. You have had enough of it.
- Prefer cold foods. Substitute hot beverages for iced.
- Sleep a lot, on a breathable and comfortable mattress.
- Recognize what makes you feel good. Do more of that.
It takes a lot less time and effort than you may think. Once you’ve done it once, you’re on your way to making a habit of it.